I haven't posted for a while mainly because i've been very busy with lots of hard work at work and exciting developments for the coming year in the career front. I also haven't been climbing a massive amount but have been trying to get to the depot a couple of times a week where i can. I'm still enjoying going for short intense sessions and have seen some improvements over the last few weeks. This week i broadened my sport and entered a fell race the Jack Bloor on Ilkley moor - my performance wasn't amazing about 53 minutes but not a total disaster seen as I had a lot of cob webs to get rid of. and it was quite a tough uphill.
 |
| Beautiful day but a pond after all the rain we've had |
Today was beautiful although a bit windy so headed out to Brimham with Johnny armed with a trad rack. First place and I'm not sure Johnny was impressed with this choice was Minion's way for a warm up. It took a few goes before i worked out the right sequence of jams but after a few goes i slammed the top hand jam in and got on to the ledge to find a slimey hand hold. Eventually after shifting the weight a bit I got stood up and launched up the final wall, topping out into the sunshine; life was good! Johnny 'enjoyed' following especially the slimey hold and horrible jams so after remembering the pleasant descent from the top of cubic block, Johnny led the slab on the other side to get his head back in gear, surprisingly nice another exciting descent and I decided to have a go at Rough wall - a 3* route arguably one of the best at Brimham but i had not repeated it in 6 years. I was impressed with the quality and the urgency of the final moves added to the fun. A final slide down off the cubic block and we made our way up to Frensis Direct!!!!!!!
 |
| 2 more to go.. top of Minion's |
 |
| Looking small at the top of Minion's |
Yes if you have read this far you may be fully aware of my past history with this route; the crowds gathered around and i launched up the route. The starting cracks didn't seem as easy or climb as easily as i remember so arriving at the top crack I was slightly concerned that i wouldn't have enough in me for a battle at the top. A short time later i found myself standing up on a jam slotting my foot into the high crack, instantly it felt do-able as the weight came onto my leg, i got some crimps the good hold in the crack and slotted a sloppy high jam. rocking over I realised the high foot was the key. Not all over but fully rocked over i concerned myself with making sure i didn't blow it and then i got the top. I am so happy to have done this - it helped being warmed up a bit , but this has boosted my confidence for the coming trad season with an E1 under the belt on first trad of the year.
 |
| 1 more to go!! |
 |
| Finally success on Frensis Direct |
1 route left - waiting on Jim!!! NW girdle to come and can't wait - perhaps June half term?
No comments:
Post a Comment