Posing for photos on the Ruff Traverse at Norwood (6c)
So a bit hungover this morning i dragged myself out of my pit and eventually summoned the energy to head out. I went up to Norwood because I knew there was a chance i would actually get a new tick. I arrived pretty late but i knew i was only up for an hour or so of climbing so not a problem really. I got straight on the Ruff Traverse with the intention of working it to warm up and remember the sequence from before Christmas. Slowly i made progress and the blood started flowing as i crimped on the tiny rail. I kept missing the big throw to good holds though and landing on my arse so headed down to pocket rocket (7a) as i knew this had some good big moves that might help my warm up. Dispatched this again by the lank method but spotted some other holds that could be used which is maybe why it's 7a if you use these? oh well - i like it all the same regardless of grade. By this point Huw had made it out so i knew i had a spotter for the traverse. Big power scream and i hit the hold. A few moves on and i fluffed it throwing for finishing holds - this was the problem before Christmas when i ran out of steam. I worked out with Huw's help a static sequence going up with my left hand at the end for a crozzley bit with a toe on instead of heel and next go it was in the bag after some full body smearing to reach the good holds. Really pleased to dispatch this - i knew i could do it so it has massively boosted my motivation. Huw demonstrated Falcon that he had since sent with a new low-arse technique - he made it look very easy - very static so i gave it ago. I was very surprised how much easier it felt shuffling your bum off the mat but despite quite a few goes and hitting the hold several times i didn't stick it. But this has given me the motivation to return. It will go next time I'm pretty confident.
Attempting Falcon for the cameras. Note the tick mark (we did remove it)
3 comments:
How our lives have changed! You blog about climbing I blog about children! Good to hear about your routes. Mays me a little home sick duncan
do all the problems at norwood involve this single block???!
no there is some other stuff but it was covered in snow the first time me and Matt went up there, should explore some more I guess but the rock there is very sharp.
Surprised you haven't commented about the cheating start to Blockbuster on my blog!
Post a Comment