Psyche-meter

Status: 3* needs a kick start especially as now in receipt of proof copies of new guide chapter. Slow start to bouldering season as cold but wet !


Monday, 2 May 2011

Wiping the grin of my face!

 A view into Trollers Gill The Jim Grin is on the left and the 6c i did through the overlap on the right
 
Me and Huw headed over to Trollers Gill with the Jim Grin a classic 7a+ in our sights. We arrived and Dave
M was there along with Dave junior a few others,  the warm up was taken so we decide just to get on Jim Grin. BIG MISTAKE! I put the clips in but should have realised by the amount of pump i got pulling on draws that it wasn't going to happen. Huw struggled to top rope as did I and we gave it up as a bad idea. Lessons learned, a.) Don't warm up on something harder than you've ever lead and b.) stay well clear of this steep stuff!!

Feeling pretty dejected Dave M had suggested a couple of 6c's that might suit us boulderisers that have spent too much time on the grit so i got on the 4 bolt wonder of  the Booker prize 6c. I managed the cruxy bouldery moves all the way to the last bolt but then once again pump overcame which is a pretty disgraceful show of stamina.I lowered and after  Huw top roped it i had a redpoint attempt, failing again i lowered and finally got the top moves next go. Pretty poor show to be honest but at least I got  a tick and recognised 2 things.
1.) Do not  warm up solely going  bolt to bolt on your 'project'
2.)Choose a 7b project that is cruxy and not steep and staminafest!


 The imaginative and aptly named Dog's Dinner buttress. Enough reason to return to the UK Ali?


Huw playing on a section rammed with 7a's but sadly filthy neglected and dusty.

Huw happy to leave? I blame the friction, steepness and god damn limestone.. Why can't it be nice like Gritstone bouldering!!!!

5 comments:

ali said...

Surprising as it may sound, that buttress doesn't tempt me back! Oh, and i'm not sure you can describe a 15m route as a "stamina-fest"!! ;-) [And isn't it 7a?!]

But on a positive note - I'm very proud of you for persevering with the limestone. Work your weaknesses and get back on it for training!

Matt Kilner said...

You're proud of me Ali.. I have a tear in my eye!

ali said...

The day you do your first 7b I'll get a photo of you framed and hung on my wall. And that's a promise.

Matt Kilner said...

Right then... Time for some training!

Huw Jenkins said...

I did at least get to the top (twice) without pulling on the quickdraws ;-) which considering I haven't put a harness on for nearly 3 years was better than I was expecting!

I'd forgotten how depressing it is to be unable to do easy moves on huge holds when you're pumped, I think this is why I prefer bouldering...